How I lost 20 pounds

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Hi everyone! image How have you all been?
Today's post is going to be a different post compared to my others. You guys may know that I've been talking about losing weight and stuff in the beginning of most of the recent posts so now is the time for me to reveal how I lost weight as my workout program finished a week ago.

At my heaviest, I was around 140 lbs. image which is quite difficult for me to reveal but I'm glad I'm not that weight anymore! My family and friends say I didn't look very heavy, just thick, but I felt extremely unhealthy and jiggly and was never confident to wear certain clothing which is why there was a period of time where I wore lots of baggy clothes. Now I am 120 lbs. (I haven't weighed that much since my junior year of high school). 120 still seems sort of heavy to me but I'm pretty sure that's a healthy weight for my height (5'5 or around 165cm??).

How I gained weight:
I really think the freshman fifteen got to me.
As soon as I graduated high school, I had way too much freedom to eat whatever I want and my activity level and metabolism decreased. I used to think P.E in high school was a joke but I really think that was what kept me active throughout high school because without that, I would have been pretty chubby in high school.
So that entire year after high school, I was pretty much eating out every week especially since I was dating at the time so I was kinda obligated to eat out all the time and as much as I love pho, hot pot, ramen, Korean BBQ, and whatever, it's so unhealthy to eat that every week and the damage began to show.

I did know I gained a significant amount of weight as I weighed myself and the pounds began to add up so I did begin working out and accomplished two months of the Blogilates calendar but it didn't really help me lose weight or slim down so I gave up on that and started a new workout regimen. 

How I lost weight:
I started Jillian Michael's Body Revolution which is a 12 week workout program + diet but I didn't do the diet because I can't cook. image It wasn't actually my first time doing this program. I did do it back in summer of 2014 but only made it to week 5 as that's probably one of the more difficult weeks in the entire program as it's a huge change and also, at the time I went to Las Vegas so buffets everyday!!
I started BR around March 6 and finished May 28 so it was pretty long but well worth it at the end.
The workout program, I believe, is mostly cardio which is what helped me lose weight. There are some weight training exercises but I only had a 2 pound dumbbell so I didn't tone up much around the arms and there weren't a lot of ab exercises so no 6 pack! I did get stronger in my arms though. Before, I couldn't do a push-up at all but now I can do around 10 perfect push-ups which is still low but hey, coming from a girl who couldn't do a push-up at all since middle school, that's good!!

I personally didn't feel results until around week 6 but at that time I was going through stress so I think stress was kind of a factor in me losing weight sort of quickly because around week 6 was when I lost 6 pounds. After week 6, I started losing more weight every week and felt a lot slimmer and healthier (and happier). Seriously, exercising not only made me healthier but improved my confidence and attitude. I think I was so unhappy with how I looked that I was just bitter towards everything and everyone but now that I'm healthier, I'm more cheerful and not as grumpy so that's a huge improvement on my part.
I really enjoyed this program. It's actually a DVD set that you're supposed to purchase but me being a total cheapskate, I found all the videos online for free on VK.com which is the equivalent of Facebook in Russia so if you want to give this workout program a shot, I linked the page with the videos.

Another thing that helped me a lot was making better choices in my diet. I know it's hard for people to take out all the junk food in their lives. I know I did. But my diet was not helping me at all whatsoever. I was eating instant ramen pretty much everyday and on top of that, I was eating out every weekend. Now, I still eat regularly (though I'll admit I don't wake up on time to eat breakfast lol) but just a lot healthier.
I haven't had ramen for 7 weeks, I had pho with my friends the other day and I couldn't even finish the small bowl, just my stomach has gotten significantly smaller so I'm not eating as much as I did before.

I should probably show my before and after pictures as that's probably what lots of people are interested in. I actually don't have a lot of good before pictures of my body because at the time I was extremely self-conscious about my body and how much weight I gained so I don't have any good pictures but I have a group picture I took with my friends when I was around my heaviest.

Before & After
is this a little too scandalous?
Even watching back at my older videos compared to my most recent, my face has changed quite a bit.image

Other helpful tips on losing weight/getting healthy:
  1. Stop drinking soda. I actually stopped drinking soda years ago and occasionally I'll drink a pink lemonade here and there but I don't really have any desire to drink soda ever again. I always opt for water. Soda really has an unhealthy amount of sugar in just a small drink so just cutting that out of your diet will be a huge improvement in itself. If you really need something flavored to drink, try iced tea, smoothies, or those flavored waters.
  2. Make healthier food choices. Notice how I didn't say "don't eat out as much". I still eat out quite a bit especially since it's the summer and I'm out hanging with friends so it's sort of difficult to not eat out every week. Just choose something a little bit healthier from the menu and not as fattening like fried food. It's okay to have a cheat day once every now and then (I know I do) but just make sure you work out quite a bit to help burn it off.
    I also have stopped eating a lot of fast food. I do eat a lot of Chipotle but part of me believes Chipotle is not really fast food and is a lot healthier than a burger or fried chicken.
  3. Do not step on the scale. I always felt discouraged during my previous workouts when I stepped on a scale everyday to see how much weight I lost and thought it wasn't working or it was taking too long. If you must, try to wait 5-6 weeks until you can step on the scale because by then, there will probably be a huge improvement.
  4. Eat regularly. I know some people who only eat one meal a day?? That's not healthy at all. I'll admit I have done that during my 12 week program but only because my emotions during a breakup (lmao) made me lose my appetite for a few days but afterwards I started eating regularly again. So eat regularly, just don't overeat to the point that your stomach wants to explode.

These tips are pretty much no-brainers but they're actually really important. I didn't think much of these tips but they really do help a lot.

Like I said before, I don't have any abs since the workout program didn't do much for abs and my arms and legs aren't really toned because I didn't have the correct equipments so now I will be focusing on toning up my body by restarting the Bikini Body Guide workout. Remember when I said I was going to record my progress with that and totally abandoned it?? I guess now I'll try to restart doing that.

I hope you guys found this post helpful and sort of motivating. I'm extremely happy with my progress and have a lot more confidence in myself which is great since some of my subscribers have asked for more fashion videos and before when I was heavier, I would have said no but now it seems like a possibility.

I'll be sure to update on my fitness progress and hopefully the next time I write about fitness I'll have abs?? We'll see.
I'll talk to you guys soon with my regular beauty posts. See you next time!

xx,
Lily

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. I really enjoyed this post Lily!
    The tips about food and eating is something everyone's said but hardly anyone follows so it's nice to have a real life endorsement that those DO work. I've gained a persistent 10 pounds for a while now and it's true like you said, I just end up feeling more conscience, less happy, bitter because I'm so conscious of weight! I tried Blogilates for a month as well and it toned me a bit but the difference wasn't that great. Now that summer is in effect, I've got to get myself into shape. Thanks for the inspiring post~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this and found it inspiring, Chrissie!!
      It's very true. It took me a couple of weeks into my workout program to actually start changing my diet and once I did I noticed a huge difference and it accelerated the weight loss.
      There's no better time to start working out than right now! I wish you luck. :)

      Delete
    2. If you dedicate yourself over the next 21-days and follow The 3 Week Diet as outlined, you will be walking around with 12 to 23 pounds of body fat gone from your waist, hips, thighs, belly and butt. Your clothes will be looser, you’ll look healthier and more attractive…and you’ll have more energy than you’ve ever had in a long, long time.

      The best food for good health to maintain the system of your body I really engaged for.

      Find out here: Fast Healthy Weight Loss

      Best rgs






















      .

      Delete
  2. I love this post so much! I think you look amazing!! and it's really inspiring because I did gain some weight the past year during finals, stress and whatnot :< It's a pity because I worked so hard to lose it in the first place a few years ago. BUT!! I'm really determined to get it all off for forever now :D Thank you for the great tips, and again, you look superb, well done <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia :3 Yeah, it's really hard to not put on weight when dealing with school and stress. :( And that's the spirit! If you did it once, you can do it againn. <3

      Delete
  3. I loved this post! I also want to lose some pounds and get healthy and this was very motivating! I can totally relate with the freshman fifteen, once I had that freedom I started gaining. Time to get healthy!

    Gen | Raspberry Notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you loved it. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! That result in such a rather short period of time is incredible!
    You can really be proud of what you have achieved, your blog is so lovely btw! <3

    Micky♡
    Princess From Jupiter 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am pretty proud :) I've never accomplished weight loss like this before!

      Delete
  5. I think you look absolutely beautiful regardless of your weight ;_; but congratulations on the weight loss! I'm sure it must have taken so much discipline but it's so inspiring to see how much you've progressed.

    www.xaintly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It does take a lot of discipline (I'll admit I might have cheated on my diet a few days eheh) but it's really all worth it in the end.
      As a side note, I just took a look at your blog and all your pictures and it's amazing! Going to follow now :)

      Delete
  6. Your story is pretty much the same as mine! I started off this year as 145 lbs. People around me didn't say I was getting heavier, but clothes were no longer fitting. I'm 5'3, so I started getting depressed when medium clothes were feeling tight, especially since I was so used to wearing XS-S. I gained weight while in college but managed to stay toned due to all the walking around campus, but once I started grad school and working full time, it all went downhill. I literally ate burgers and tacos 3 times a day, everyday! You look amazing, you're seriously my motivation. I finally went down to 134 lbs as my current weight, but I'm motivated to get healthier and shed some extra weight.

    http://www.thewanderingkitsune.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11 pounds is great! I'm so glad this post motivated you. :) I wish you luck on your journey!

      Delete
  7. who cares if i'm late, but bless this post bc gurl you are my motivation. I really need to work out more but never really gave a f*ck because I don't really step on the scale. I want to ignore all my looks, but it's kind of hard not to notice. Your before and after pictures are basically me the other way around, so reading this post really inspired me to start exercising!!! Your photos makes me want to jump right up and start... but just a quick question.. how did you stay motivated for three WHOLE months. I have tried, but quickly gave up in a month. ): THIS TIME I AM DETERMINED AND I WILL PROVE IT TO THE WORLD. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I'm glad this inspired you :) Just remember to do it for yourself!

      Delete
  8. How difficult would you say the workouts are? And did you continue them after the three month period? If not, what is your workout like now? I definitely want to do this, especially since we are similar in weight/height, but I don't want to become someone who spends their life at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first videos aren't really that hard but the videos do get gradually more difficult, but they aren't impossible to do. I still do the cardio videos now even though the workout program is over because they were pretty good cardios! For now, I'm doing the Bikini Body Guide to help tone up but if I feel as though I'm gaining more weight, I might restart the Body Revolution videos. These videos are only around 30 minutes a day so it won't take up much of your time at all!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I just tried the first video the other day and it's definitely what I'm looking for! It's difficult, but in a motivating way rather than a discouraging way. Also I saved your before and after pic as inspo I hope that's not weird!

      Delete
    3. Not weird at all! I'm flattered! :)

      Delete
    4. one more question sorry! did you go down any sizes in clothing? i'm thinking about if i'll have to buy new pants once i reach my goal weight

      Delete
    5. I definitely went down in pant sizes as none of my jeans fit me that well and even a pair of American Apparel shorts I bought 2 weeks before the end of the workout program are loose on me. So yeah, I would highly recommend going shopping AFTER you finish the workout program. :)

      Delete
  9. How did you stay motivated and how many calories do you normally eat a day? I'm not sure where to start or if I should count calories. My height is 5"7 and I weigh 126lbs. I feel that if I start working out I have a hard time fitting it in my schedule since I'm a college student :[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5'7 and 126 pounds sounds perfectly fine! If your goal is to lose weight, you can start of with changing your diet. I don't really count calories but I do like to keep track of what I eat with the MyFitnessPal app. Diet is truly the most beneficial factor in losing weight. And I totally understand with being a college student and having a tough time finding time to work out! My solution to that is just start off with just taking a little bit of time out of your day (like 30 min) to work out. It's very short and still effective! That's how I started out.

      Delete

Subscribe