Going vegan....brushes, that is

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Hi everyone!  How have you all been doing? 
I have a special announcement to make: I'm going vegan. Not the food kind. I would never be able to stay away from meat and cheeses! I mean it'd be probably really healthy for me as an old friend of mine went vegan and lost a ton of weight. Is it possible to go partially vegan?image
Anyways, I'm going vegan with my makeup brushes! I've decided to go vegan with brushes as I'm not even a huge fan of animal hair brushes anyways. I've always found synthetic bristles to be a lot softer anyways and cleaning synthetic brushes are so much easier anyways. I also don't believe animals should be harmed just for the sake of us to look/feel pretty. Now I know my makeup collection isn't 100% cruelty-free and it's really difficult for me because there aren't a lot of Asian beauty brands that are natural or cruelty-free (Korea has passed a law that will end and ban animal testing by 2018! image) but I think starting off with brushes is a stepping stone for me and possibly I'll gradually go 100% vegan/cruelty-free with my makeup.

First thing I had to do is get rid of a lot of my brushes, possibly 2/3 of it as I had a lot of natural haired brushes from Sigma and other brands. The picture above are some of the ones I have left. I sold a lot of my brushes on Depop so if you're interested, check it out!
It wasn't that difficult for me to part from the animal hair brushes. As I said before, a lot of the animal hair brushes weren't as soft as my synthetic hair brushes especially the animal hair eye brushes that were pretty pokey and scratchy! I think I need to really use only super soft eye brushes as I have the tendency to get eczema flare-ups on my eye area so using a scratchy brush around my eyes will definitely irritate my eyes.
Another thing I hated about the animal hair brushes was that they all shedded, mostly the face brushes. I don't even press hard or anything and I make sure to keep the water away from the ferrule when I wash them. It's just really annoying! So see ya animal hair brushes!image

So these are all the brushes I have left in my collection. They're not all vegan but pretty much all except 1 or 2 brushes are made of cruelty-free synthetic bristles. I never realized how very few brands have vegan brushes. Not even my favourite brush brand, Real Techniques, are vegan even though they're cruelty-free synthetic taklon bristles and their parent company, Ecotools, is vegan. You can probably notice that I have one (possibly two? I'm not sure what bristles the ELF one is) eyeshadow brush that is animal hair. I just love it too much that I can't separate from it. Until I find a dupe of it in a vegan version, I'll continue to use it.

Here are my favourite brushes in my collection:
  • Sigma F80 Flat Kabuki - Now I know I said before that I started to not like this brush as much because of how too dense it was and it sort of dragged my skin but now I've fallen in love with it all over again and the only reason is that because I started using this brush in a stipple/patting motion. I still hate how this drags my skin when I use it to buff but when I want to mimic the effect of a puff when I use a cushion, I love using this brush as I don't have to reuse a dirty puff.
    Another downside is that it's difficult to clean but using those brush cleaning pads with the nubs actually really makes cleaning a brush like this a whole lot easier. You don't really need to buy those sort of overpriced brush pads; I just use a silicone face brush I got from Daiso for $1.50 and that works perfectly.
  • Wet N Wild Flat Top Brush - I already have a full review post on this brush and if you've read it, you know I LOVE this brush. Now this brush is actually 100% vegan (also gluten-free supposedly lol??) It's pretty much a less dense version of the F80 which means I can use this to buff my foundation out. For $2.99, this is such a fantastic brush and I'm definitely getting more from this line.
  • Up & Up Blush Brush - This is a newer brush in my collection but this has already made it into my top 4. Like I've said before, I get a lot of my recommendations from emilynoel83 and she raved about the Up & Up brushes and I don't think I've ever had a blush brush that I actually liked until this one. The gist of it are that it's really soft, not dense which is great for a blush brush, tapered nicely so it picks up and applies blush well, and overall a really high quality brush. I sometimes use it for powder when I want a more detailed application but most of the time I use this for blush and it's just perfect for it.
  • Real Techniques Sculpting Brush - This is another brush I have a full review on. A lot of these synthetic brushes are great for all kinds of purposes and this is one of them. I mostly like using this to apply bronzer around my face and my nose but this is also a great brush to buff out liquid foundation. If you use cream contours, this will really nicely sculpt and blend out your cream contour.
  • Tokidoki Donutella Eyeliner Brush - Unfortunately this brush and the other Tokidoki brushes aren't available for retail price anymore but this will be my favorite eyeliner brush forever. I've been using it a little bit less because I'm afraid of using it too much that it might fall apart of something but so far it's been sticking together. This brush is really sharp and makes a clean line for eyeliner and the perfect wing. Sometimes I use it for eyebrows but it's too thin to really fill in anything but I guess if you want to mimic the appearance of eyebrow hairs, this can create that because of how sharp it is.
  • ELF Essentials Eye Crease Brush - I know ELF makes vegan brushes but I'm not exactly sure if the Essentials line is vegan or cruelty-free. I know a long time ago their brushes weren't but now it looks like the Essentials line has gone through a makeover and some of the bristles look synthetic so I'm not too sure about this one. This is still a good brush and for $1, it's a steal! I don't use it for my crease as I don't really have one and it's not that great for it but I like using this as a sort of pencil brush and smudge brush combined. It's smaller than the ELF Contour brush, which I'll talk about in a second, so I love using this to apply eyeshadow on my lower lashline.
  • ELF Contour Brush - This brush is a lot better to use in the crease. I like using this to apply eyeshadow on the outer and inner corners of my eyes and I know for sure this one is vegan. After having this brush for probably more than 4 years, it hasn't shed on me at all! And for $3, that's pretty good.
  • Sigma E50 Large Fluff Brush - I'm probably a hypocrite for talking all this mad trash about Sigma's natural hair brushes and saying I'm going 100% cruelty-free but it's difficult for me to part ways with this brush. It's just the perfect shape and density to apply colour all over the lid in a breeze and I'm usually one to wear one shadow only. This brush really makes my eyeshadow routine super fast. It's also really soft unlike a lot of the other older Sigma natural hair brushes I had so it doesn't irritate my eyes at all. Until I find a vegan dupe for this brush, I'll be keeping it. 
I'm definitely going to add and get rid of more brushes to become 100% cruelty-free and vegan but for now, I think I'm doing well to start off? I can't buy any brushes or any makeup right now as I'm on a no-buy until April 5th but I'm pretty satisfied with my brush collection. I was a total brush hoarder and had too many brushes and I didn't use even a third of it. I think doing this has helped me declutter while being a little bit more eco-friendly with my makeup.

I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Have a wonderful rest of the week.

xx,
Lily

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. The tokidoki brushes are adorable! I remember when these came out in Sephora a few years ago. I wasn't that into makeup back then so I skipped out on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge collector of Tokidoki so I just had to have these in my collections. I'm so sad I missed out on the other Tokidoki brushes! Now they're on ebay and other sites for like $70+ O_O

      Delete
  2. I have a ton of brushes, many from real techniques although I don´t even really like them that much... It´s great that you are going vegan with your brushes! I won´t be buying many in the future anyways so I´ll keep what I have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're sort of opposites then! I only have two RT brushes but I love them even though I'm not that much of a fan of one of the brushes LOL. I have too much of a brush addiction so I just love buying new brushes!

      Delete

Subscribe