Review | Etude House Play 101 Pencil #48 (Best pencil liner!)

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Hey everyone! How have you all been?
I hope you all had a great Christmas and Holidays. imageThe new year is just around the corner!
In today's post, I will be reviewing the Etude House Play 101 Pencil in #48. If you don't know what these are, these pencils are for all kinds of uses. They come in different textures and finishes which allow them to be used for all over the face like your eyes, lips, cheeks, brows, wherever!
These pencils were the first ones to come out and have since become a very popular item in Korea. They have now released bigger sized Play 101 sticks for foundation, cheeks, and contouring but I have yet to try those ones out but they do look very cool so I might pick some of those up.image
The pencil I bought first was the one in #48 which is a Glitter finish in a brown shade. I chose the glittery one over the creamy brown with no glitters since I saw Pony use it in this video and I thought the glittery finish gave a bit more dimension to the eyes than a matte creamy finish one. This one I use as an eyeliner and I'm not super interested in the skintoned pencils for concealer or the ones for lips but we'll see if I change my mind in the future.
I really love the packaging. Not only is the lettering pretty cute, but it's a retractable pencil and it has a sharpener on the bottom. I was afraid that it might be a pencil you need to sharpen like the wooden pencils but it's not which is great! No hassle for mee.
Swatch in indoor lighting
Swatch in bright sunlight
This pencil goes on really smooth and doesn't tug on my eye at all which I really need as one of my eyes are really dry on the eye line due to my eczema so it's difficult to get an even line on it but this pencil has no problem in doing so.
It also sets pretty quickly and right when it sets, it will not go anywhere! This is the first pencil liner that's done that for me. Before, I never even touched pencil liners because all the ones I've used I've had very bad experiences with it transferring to my lower lash line. It didn't even matter if it was the very best pencil out there. My monolids always had it transfer everywhere but this is so different!
In this picture, I poured water on it and rubbed it right after and there were no smudges at all! The colour wore off VERY minimally but you can't tell the difference with your own eyes. You can only see it since it's zoomed in real close.
So honestly, this pencil will not come off until you want it to. It really does come off very easily with a cleansing balm or makeup wipe but water will not remove it.
I still have the swatch on my hand right now and I keep on rubbing it and it is not coming off at all! I've yet to see how this performs in the summer when it's all hot but I would assume it still has a long lasting power.

imageLikes:
- Longlasting power! Stays on all day
- Doesn't smudge or transfer
- Creamy and smooth so no tugging
- Comes in different shades and finishes (50 colours!)
- Multi-use (concealer, brows, lips, eyes, etc.)
- Affordable ($6-9 though I bought it for $15 at the mall...I'm dumb)
- Retractable
- Waterproof
- The only pencil eyeliner that works for my eyes!

imageNot-so-likes:
- Sets pretty quickly so you have to work fast if you want to smudge it out
- Some websites including the Etude House website don't have all 50 colours so you're gonna have to scramble around trying to find them all

All in all, this is already my holy grail eyeliner and I haven't touched my usual gel liners since! I'm going to definitely purchase more of these and possibly the bigger stick ones for blush and contouring so look out for those in the future!
I highly recommend trying these out especially is you have difficulty trusting pencil eyeliners like me.

I hope you guys enjoyed this review! I'll talk to you guys later in the new year!

xx,
Lily
image

(I know it's not Christmas anymore but I still wanna use these cute x-mas gifs hehe where's the new AOT tho)

Disclaimer: This product was paid with my own money and is not a sponsored review. Everything is in my honest opinion. Keep it real.

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I love PONY! I watched her video, a long time ago, where she included these. I really want to try the red one and now the brown one ^_^

    Laila from Townhouse Palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm obsessed with Pony! Lots of my makeup purchases are pretty much because of her :3

      Delete
  2. heheh I love the play 101 pencils & I totally agree with your review on them :)
    I'll actually be doing a review of the play 101 sticks for foundation, cheeks, and contouring soon, so keep an eye out if you're interested ^^
    xx Charmaine

    charrmyn || Leavers 2015 pt.I - Discover Hong Kong with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely look out for your review! :)

      Delete
  3. Brown eyeliner always looks so beautiful!
    Happy New Year!<3

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  4. I heard about these liners after seeing PONY promote it! I was thinking about purchasing them but I recently got a bunch of TOSOWOONG liners and they're my holy grail <3 Whenever I'm lazy, I tend to just line my eyes with them and they don;t smudge! I will check these liners out when I run out of mine <3
    Jessie @ bijou-heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I saw your review on the Tosowoong ones and they looked really good and cute! You should definitely check out the Play 101 pencils. I think you would like them. :)

      Delete
  5. yes legit! #48 is the perfect liner. i did a massive haul fo the play 101 pencils last year and 48 is a fave. i rediscovered 4-6 as well which make for perfect festive glitter eye shades.

    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had my eyes on those shades! I really want to use those for my under eye. :3

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried any of the 101 pencils yet but this looks like a really gorgeous shade everyday shade. On another note, your eye brows are on point! I'm so envious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you! Glad to hear someone appreciates my brows <3 And yes, it's the perfect eyeliner for everyday since I have been wearing it everyday :)

      Delete
  7. I have the same pencil but in #50 (matte brown). I love it as well :) You should get one of the red shades to use as a blush! It works great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that sounds good! I've actually been getting into blush these days especially cream blushes so I think that would work really well. :D

      Delete

Subscribe