Disrespectful Fashion Trends

Saturday, September 28, 2013

I don't know about you but I find this incredibly disrespectful. I understand that the "military" style clothes are in style kinda and I do admit I have some camo clothes, army green pants, and military styles boots but this is just a whole 'nother level.
I found this on Imgur and it turns out that the people who are selling this is Karmaloop. How dare they? Do they not realize how deadly that war was and how REAL people sacrificed their lives in the Vietnam War? I highly doubt that model is a Vietnam veteran. No one should be degrading the veterans by wearing this hat. All veterans deserve the respect they need. How dare they degrade the name of the veterans? If you want to wear something like this, you should actually be in the military. Seriously, who the fuck?
Here's the link to the stupid website. I sent an angry email. As you can tell, I'm not the only one mad about this.
http://www.karmaloop.com/product/The-OD-Vintage-Veteran-Hat/389842

There are so many "fashion trends" that are just as disrespectful as wearing a veterans hat.
This is possibly the most offensive thing I've ever seen. Native American feather headdresses are kind of like military badges in the Native American tribe. Each feather meaning you've won a battle. And I think it's incredibly offensive if a white person wears it since....you know...the history. So please, do not wear cultural pieces when you don't know the meaning behind it. It seriously is offensive. And you're asking for a beating if you wear this kinda stuff in public. It's not any different from wearing a Nazi T-shirt.

I laugh at people who have dream catchers in their rooms acting like it's part of their culture or something. It's not a decoration, it's part of someone else's culture.

This Halloween, I KNOW there will be stupid girls at my school dressing up as Native Americans but a slut version thinking they will look cute and shit. I'll probably brings bags of my cat's soiled cat litter and dump it all over them.

My friend who is Muslim saw someone wearing a necklace with the Islam symbol on it. That girl was Hispanic and my friend asked politely if she was Muslim and she responded back with "Ew! No, I ain't no terrorist." Dafuq?
I don't really get offended when I see non-Christians wearing cross fashion stuff but I do get offended when I see people wearing crosses and they say how they hate God. THAT is offensive.

So yeah, don't do this kind of shit people. Please. That's all I ask.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Thank you for this post I think this is a VERY important topic. I'm always getting upset with the "ethno" trend since I think it's just pretty racist and unconcsious about other cultures. And the featherstuff... to wear as a white American.. whose ancestors basically chased them off their homes... well. No words for that.
    Reminds me of the times I was in Japan and saw a guy with a cute little chibi Hitler T-shirt. As a German I was just like... WHAT? I didn't just see that now did I? They even sell a LOT of nazi "jewelry" in Harajuku and had a big discussion with the sale stuff but they didn't really get it which is just sad. With that being sad great post! We need more awareness in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i saw this topic on an online forum and i agree! Seems pretty disrespectful but fashion does cross its line sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually completely agree with you, fashion really does take things too far sometimes and this is a prime example of that.

    ♥ Little Owl Diary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is a term for this (cultural appropriation). I think it's completely disrespectful. I can't stand seeing people (whether or not they're Catholic) wearing the rosaries because I've been told by my Catholic friends that those aren't supposed to be worn as jewelry. Also, here's an article on Urban Outfitters that you might find interesting. It's 12 different controversial items they've put out http://theweek.com/article/index/220370/racist-navajo-attire-and-7-other-urban-outfitters-controversies

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the page cannot be found"
    No seriously, what is wrong with people these days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly could not agree with you more. Especially so with white people wearing something of Native American culture. Many people talk about fashion and trends but yet have I come to hear of someone discussing the more taboo and ignorant side of it until now and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe